Friday, February 25, 2011

Zuo Gu Shen Jing Tong Wan

Desperate, still studying up to the minute before the mid-term, I asked E to make up a mnemonic for this Chinese Patent Medicine formula (pronounced roughly "zwuh goo shen jing tongg juan"). It treats sciatica so I was especially interested in remembering it, not just for the test. Because she gets that sometimes.

"Zephyrs go sailing just to Washington?

My sciatica was acting up at the Zoo.
I sat down to rest in a pile of Goo
The shen of the sun
and the jing(le) of bells will always remind me
of borrowing tonggs from the Zookeeper named Juan.

Fuck. I don't know."

In the end I went with "zoo goo" and it helped. The formula happens to be made with monkey shit, so even better. (Just kidding. But there really are herbs made from cicada shells [treats aphonia], squirrel feces, a bear's gall bladder, even plants soaked in baby urine).

No comments: