Saturday, October 09, 2010

October 9, 2010

It's Saturday --- took the kids and the dog to the high school football field. The dog nosed around in the grass while me and Ezra tossed the football 300 times. We dropped the first several and then got into a groove that was addictive; Ezra throws good spirals and his catching is not bad at all; I noted this with relief and pride. Ambrose called out Dad, look about 20 different things that interested him as he wandered around the outskirts of the field looking for things to climb on and discovered other things like geese, and then Ezra and I practiced kicking field goals after which Ambrose joined us to play touch football --- an excuse for me to practice seeing what it would be like to run 20 yards fast weaving between albeit stunted defenders --- and then we all played Frisbee.

We went to the library and Ambrose brought me a tall tumbling pile of books he wanted to sign out while Ezra selected a pictorial study of the song "We Shall Overcome" with included the notations. I got a Chopin CD for Ezra.

We went to Sonic and one of the carhops wore roller blades.

We went to Ikea and bought a reading light for Ambrose's top bunk.

We returned in late afternoon. Ezra studied piano tutorials on YouTube sitting in the rocking chair. I slipped the Chopin CD in and told him to put his headphones on and close his eyes.

The kids played for hours and last I saw Ambrose he was reading Cat in the Hat whispering the words to himself under his new reading light.

No comments: