Monday, June 07, 2010

June 7, 2010 - morning

Was cleaning up this morning, putting in order and removing the dust from things so that I could set up an environment to write in and there were two movie cases on the table. "Gamera" and "Kiki's Delivery Service." Before they were swept up and placed squarely on top of each other I noted that these choices seemed like the types of things you'd find laying around in a house where we both lived. Started thinking about the director Miyazaki in particular. His movies ask you or invite you or trick you into entering a place where you have to accept spirits and gods and maybe immortality. There's already some room in my beliefs for things like that and in fact there are some actual ghosts and deities way back in there. Elizabeth not so much. And yet thinking about some of the things she reads and watches if you had to generalize them would be fantasy. Sometimes the differences between what she and I believe seem very different. And this morning I was thinking maybe not so different. We're both willing to entertain the idea of these beings from the stars and shadows I just take it a little too far. That made me think that with people in general it's not so much what we believe that makes up the distinct philosophy of our singular personalities but the stories we like to hear.

No comments: